Saturday 3 May 2014

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry

Module 2 has taken me on a completely different path than what I first proposed. My initial thought for my topic was Yoga; as this was a keen interest of mine and something that I thought I’d like to integrate into my learning and development as a dancer. However, due to my work based learning environment, I naturally stubbled across an area of study which I thought was important and interesting to follow through; bettering performance. 
My first blog ‘Initial ideas for Part 4’ expresses some of my earlier ideas and also an experience during my first week onboard where I noticed a shift in my thought process. A couple of other blogs followed, again expressing some experiences I’d had onboard which sparked an inquiry topic: ‘Ideas from audience viewing’. It had all started piecing itself together and led to my collection for lines of inquiry, I decided to blog post my own thoughts on “what makes a show successful?” this post was named ‘Reaching out to you’ as I wanted to target my fellow BAPP arts students and see what their view was. 
As the module continued I began to search for literature examples, articles and extracts where I could start to learn a bit more about performance and your role as a performer. The following blog talks about my personal transition from my first to my second/current contract, and the literature example which helped me to understand how working as a team is vital in performing: ‘WBL experience and lines of inquiry’.
Once proceeding onto Part 5 of the module, I posted a blog which set about explaining what I do on the ship and in the shows that conforms to ethical standards. I also talked about what I’d noticed in the shows which made the audience react differently depending on race: ‘WBL experience of Ethics’. I also posted a blog which set about showing the ethical standards noted in my contract: ‘Contractual agreements’. Shortly after this experience, I began to research into ethics in theatre. I came across an article from theguardian.co.uk which set about explaining the coming of the revolution and the acceptance of non caucasian performers on stage, you can view the article in my blog ‘Article on the coming of the revolution’.
Sticking to my line of inquiry I decided to research further into performance and how we as artists can better ourselves on stage. Here are some blogs that I thought to post to aid the help of other performers wanting to improve and develop their performance: 
‘How can we better our performance?’
‘Tips for performance’
‘Tips continued’
Entering into Part 6 made me realise the importance of my inquiry, it was not just about me and conducting this inquiry solely for the purpose of helping my own performance. This inquiry proposal is going to benefit my colleagues within the BAPP network and my cast members. Included in this blog is my proposal for the inquiry and the finalised plan: ‘Benefits for others and ideas for proposal’.
For my last blog I decided to share my pilot interview. This formulated my definite thoughts on conducting the research across a varied, multiple source of participants and how I discovered after reflecting back, how I shouldn’t reserve judgement or try to guess the response from one interviewee to the next: ‘Recent observation’.

As you can see my proposal plan has come together at a steady pace and once establishing where my inquiry was heading it began to piece together. This inquiry topic is a general interest of mine and it has been a pleasure to learn and develop throughout this module. 

No comments:

Post a Comment