Saturday 8 March 2014

Initial ideas for Part 4

Hello everyone, firstly I must apologies for my bare blog that has been sitting here for a long time now. For the past 5 weeks I have been in America, and the past 2 have involved my big move onto the Paradise ship as a dancer for Carnival Cruise Lines. So I have been extremely busy with rehearsals, this also means I have limited Internet access. Thankfully I have been finding the time to read up on the literature and managed to screen shot some pages when I have been able to access the net. Through doing this, which has seemed like such a long process, I've finally got a few posts I can put up for our benefit!

So getting into the work for module 2, initially before starting on the contract, whilst spending time in the US I really liked the idea of perhaps finding a niche into my inquiry being based upon yoga. As a general topic, not being sure quite what I want to research about yoga but I've been on a very inspiring, life changing journey since experiencing my first yoga class last November.  Yoga has literally transformed my life, I don't know if any other fellow students are on the same wavelength as me? For me, yoga has taught me to calm down, to look at life as a whole, to listen, to understand, it has been both a mental and physical breakthrough. It has even improved my dance technique and performance skilled and has helped with many aspects in my lifestyle. I only want to keep this yoga section brief as I have a lot to post today and little time on the net, but if people would like to share and expand this as an SIG or just something got a small connection and genuine interest, feel free, I would love to hear from you. I met Melanie canon in a Bikram yoga class held in Liverpool in December last year, it was great to meet Melanie. Bikram yoga has definitely been my favourite yoga class so far!

Having started with Carnival, I have now changed my thoughts on yoga being my primary focus for my inquiry. Relating to issues based on audience reception, the following lines of inquiry I have had are as follows:

- how do we get an audience to appreciate dance?
- does our audience have knowledge and appreciation of dance training and career scope?
- comparing an audience appreciation to that of a dance/entertainment knowledge based group/individual to that of a non knowledge based group/individual.
-the difference between someone with no knowledge of dance, small understanding and greatly skilled/definite understanding of dance.

Watching the shows during cast change the first show I watched from the front of the auditorium and had a clear, focused view of the dancers from stage left and them only. The second show of the night I watched from afar in the upper circle amongst the guests and the view and experience was totally different. Not only from a dance perspective but I was looking at the show as a whole. My seats were directly behind the lighting  and sound booth, I could see the tech guys working hard and distributing their attention and efforts from backstage to the floor. I could see the band pit where I watched the live musicians sometimes for a whole number in the show noticing their commitment, dedication and teamwork. During the show a fiddle player comes on stage for a 10-15 minute solo piece, his talent, precision and passion blew me away! After noticing these aspects which I'd never done fully before it came to my attention that each role which contributes to the show as a whole is equally important to my own role as a dancer. We should commemorate, support and appreciate each other every show. I find that whenever on stage doing my bit, my focus is solely upon myself. It has now occurred to me that I form part of a team, working together to create entertainment whether that be visually, technically or musically.

The following link is to Dancers Career Development about the 'Transition within your career and your Identity' this is a YouTube clip, please scroll down to find it on the following page. I particularly find interesting Isabel Mortimers speech on how she's perceives dance and what it did for her and the point at which it all became apparent and definite to her. If this is not based upon your inquiry, it might be of interest anyway as I like the expression and notes on our lifestyles and what dance can do. DCD.

Feeling a little better now that I've loosely been able to tell you all my lines of inquiry I hope you will assist me and support me as you've all done already. I just want to say that reading various blogs, some people are really inspiring and interesting individuals, I like that although you can trace similar lines of inquiry, we can all be inspired by one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment