Thursday 13 March 2014

WBL experience and lines of inquiry

During my time with Carnival Cruise Lines I have noticed a development and change between my first and second (current) contract. The way in which I approach other members of my cast, my rehearsals, dedication to ettiquette and fitness, health and well being, application of corrections and the will in which to produce entertaining, memorable shows has now advanced and I feel better as a dancer and a person for this.

As well as a definite feeling that I have progressed in all areas within my work, guests have pinpointed me as a charismatic, watchable dancer and have personally approached me to pass this on to me. This has reinforced my confidence and thinking on my progress as a performer. I feel far happier and healthier than I did in my first contract.

A point I raised before about noticing the shows as a team effort to producing successfully is noted here in Acting Coach Scotland in an article about 'Its not about you'. The very first line itself reiterates my thoughts on how I feel I've become a more advanced professional due to noticing, appreciating and respecting that the show isn't just about my part. The confidence I now feel shines through in performance where I am now genuinely interacting and connecting with the audience. I will take in the mass of people, look for their attention and spot their eyes and actively engage with them. In the article Westbrook advocates 'when we are insecure, unsure and anxious, we focus on ourselves' he goes on to say that 'when we are self focused, we are clumsy, defensive and tense' 'when an audience sees the truthful exchange taking place beneath the surface of the lines, they become drawn in and they are affected by it on a gut level'. Something I've discovered most recently is that keeping within company choreography, I find that when I dance 'me' and give my personality to the dance, I find myself being the greatest dancer I can be. It gives me a real buzz and true sense of appreciation and pleasure.

Reading through various blogs the person that caught my attention was Gabrielle Fairhead. Instantly I noticed a connection and shared interest on her thoughts for inquiry. I particularly like her light bulb post about stimulates dancers, and why do dancers dance?

I'm heading my line of inquiry with a mix of this, I'd quite like to research how we can make the best of what we hold tacitly within ourselves as dancers. A mix of our genetic make up, backgrounds and formulas for success. This could range across points of view from both dancers/performers and audience viewers. What perhaps stimulates/entertains us as performers and the comparison to that of an audience member. Which is more important? What is more valuable?

I like Gabrielles use of words for describing ourselves as performers' 'I believe the vitality of a dancer is what is key to the utmost enjoyment of this demanding yet most exciting lifestyle' and 'generally dancers dance because of enjoyment' if we ourselves are not enjoying our work, how are we supposed to show this to an audience? We must find a balance, which means finding ourselves. The obstacle we face however is at which point do we find ourselves, when do we discover our niche? Or will we forever be on the journey to finding and perfecting it.. Thoughts fellow BAPP's?


2 comments:

  1. Hi Eve
    I am glad to have caught your attention with my inquiry and wish to discuss further about each others' if that is ok?
    First answering your question to if we ever discover our Niche, and yes we might discover our true 'meaning' in life, but are still always on a road to discovery, learning from mistakes and experiences to enhance that enjoyment of that niche you have, e.g. dancing :)

    I think your inquiry is a great topic. First thing that comes to mind is the fact that there is always a certain connection between the audience and a dancer, otherwise dancers wouldn't initially dance as they would have no one to dance for, express to someone. And the audience wouldn't exist without dancers.

    It does differ between different types of dancing, at ballets it is more grand where they are further away looking at the big spectacle. Smaller contemporary dance shows in black box theaters or at galleries are more intimate where the audience is more involved in a way.
    However for both the dancers share their enjoyment, and audience embrace it. The atmosphere from both are felt and that in itself is a set stimulation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't mind me posting about my inquiry:
    I have now decided to narrow my topic down to focusing on ballet dancers-
    Why do ballet dancers dance, what stimulates them to keep on dancing? And what do they do to motivate themselves?
    I have a finished product in mind; to create a short documentary/video of ballet dancers dancing, with their shared opinions and experiences on their life and motivation. The intention of this video is to show the outside world the true essence of a ballet dancers life as well hoping to act as inspiration or motivation to anyone who wants to pursue this career.
    I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on these questions, as your inquiry is very similar to mine and there are essences in both that I think could help each other out, if you would be willing to discuss further?
    Gaby x

    ReplyDelete