Wednesday 13 November 2013

Task 2b: Reflective writing 'Journal writing experience'

Over the course of 7 days I adapted and dedicated each day to experiment with different styles of journel writing. I used the examples laid out in 2b to complete this. Here were my views and findings on the different styles:

Description 
For me, this was by far the most easy as this is my most comfortable, natural style of journal writing, this came to me automatically and I was able to write fluently. This is an easy way to simple log all your features and highlights of the day, to look back on and see what went on during that specific date.

Initial reflection 
I really liked this style of journal writing, for me, this seemed to help my reflection perfectly as I pinpointed how I felt, my thoughts, what happened as well as my mood. For me, this summed up how my experience effected my entire being. I found this an important and influential way of journal logging.

List
This was personally the most poor of all the writing styles, easiest yet the most pointless. It did not help me reflect much at all, yes to an extent we can keep track of what happened, but as we didn't go into depth about anything I felt this style had the least progress for reflection.

Evaluation 
This style of journal logging I found very helpful, I really liked the way we 'evaluated' the events of the day, this helped us to form a good understanding of our experiences and therefore, important to our reflection. This was the best style I felt for learning and reflecting from experience.

Graphs, charts and diagrams
I chose to draw the events of this day, I liked this as it was a fun, memorable, different way of logging your journal. Although it did not give you hard hitting words and description, your able to reflect simply from the art almost. However fun it may have been I unfortunately didn't think it helped much on my learning and development.
What if?
Reading back for what I logged on this day, I felt that it was predominantly filled with negatives and things I would have wished for, I like to think of myself as a positive person but reflecting back on this it was filled with hopes and dreams of what I would like more than what I have. This is good as it makes you put in perspective things you want to achieve. I don't really feel like this was a particularly great style for reflection, it kind of made me a little depressed at things I wanted and weren't actually happening or real. 

Another view
Looking back on this particular style of reflection, I found this very useful and surprising. It came to my attention how I come across as a person and this in turn made me think about things I should change or realise within myself. It was only when I logged about this from another persons perspective that I began to see my true self. I think this is a very good style of reflection, whereby we see ourselves from another beings perspective, begins to trigger thoughts and feelings on what we do, how we come across and what we should change about ourselves. 

Conclusion
As I expressed in my what if section of my journal writing, I was surprised by how negative I seemed to portray myself, I know that I'm a positive person but I seemed to only suggest what I desire and want, things that I haven't yet achieved. The evaluation was my favourite style of writing aswell as the another view style, these I found most useful to me for my development and learning. I would definitely use the evaluation style again, this made me think of my goals, and how my day progressed and formed. It was as I discovered, the most useful form of journal writing. I will also use the another view style in my reflection. Perhaps not as a written all the time, but as a mental note to remind myself, how do I look right now? how do I come across? I really enjoyed experimenting with the different forms of reflection, the outcome was very successful and has led me into further understanding about reflection itself and how I should go about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment